Friday, June 10, 2016

Character Background: Trewyggol Aristocrat

It's been months since my last post, but that doesn't mean I haven't been sculpting Aibhilon during the absence. Lately I've been working on the pantheons and deities, but there's still a lot to work out before there's something to present. So, as I get back to the business of updating this blog, I present a 5e background for characters whose noble lineage can be traced back to the fallen city of Trewyggol.

In Trewyggol, there was the aristocracy and then there was everybody else. Your family’s outlook may have changed when they escaped the riots and plague, or they may be as proud and elitist as ever. Either way, you have been raised to be accustom to a certain level of privilege.

Your family’s wealth and power are a shade of what it was before their flight; yet this hasn’t stopped them, or you, from standing above the common peasant. Fur-trimmed robes, artistic pursuits, intellectual studies, and a hedonistic vice or two signify your wealth and status to others. Whether you are a spoiled dandy or a hardworking magnate, you are comfortable navigating the gossiping and scheming of high society.

Skill Proficiencies. Persuasion, Performance

Tool Proficiencies. One type of gaming set, and either one musical instrument or one type of artisan’s tools.

Equipment. One set of artisan’s tools, musical instrument, or gaming set; a set of fine clothes; a signet ring; and a purse containing 15 gp

Lifestyle. Wealthy

Feature: Family Legacy
Even if other nobles don’t know you personally, they at least recognize where your family hails from. Those that don’t respect your loss still grant you a show of measured difference, whether out of pity or because they view your family’s plight as an amusing curiosity. Between Trewyggol’s displaced nobility, however, there is an unspoken bond of empathy. You can always secure an audience with a member of another noble family that had ties to Trewyggol.

d8
Personality Trait
1
Life can be tragic, but I will endure.
2
I can have anything I want, it's only a matter of how much it will cost.
3
Life is short; therefore I will enjoy it to the fullest.
4
If I work hard enough, I can better my life even more.
5
I come from a privileged family and frequently remind people of that fact.
6
I look down upon those who do not live in the same expensive life style as me.
7
I am appreciative of those who must toil to support my lifestyle.
8
My decorum is what sets me apart from the common peasant.

d6
Ideal
1
Protective: I must look out for those that are not as fortunate as I. (Good)
2
Reckless: I can survive any ordeal, no matter how perilous the situation. (Chaotic)
3
Authoritative: The role of a government is to protect people from themselves. (Lawful)
4
Selfish: People are just another tool for me to use to achieve my goals. (Evil)
5
Revitalized: The destruction of Trewyggol has given everyone the opportunity to change their lives if they chose to. (Any)
6
Superficial: It doesn't matter what you do, so long as you look good doing it. (Neutral)

d8
Bond
1
The fall of Trewyggol took nearly everything I had. I cannot let that happen again.
2
Compared to most noble families in Trewyggol, mine had a meager fortune. Escaping the ruin of that city has provided me with an opportunity to change that.
3
Everyone must work together, regardless of their wealth or power, if we are to endure.
4
To get ahead in life, it's all about who you know.
5
I have dedicated myself to the Church.
6
There is great evil in this world and it is something to be feared.
7
My family secretly supported the rebellion. I intend to honor them by continuing their fight against tyranny.
8
I must help the nobility maintain their power if order is to survive.

d8
Flaw
1
I am untrusting and fearful of anyone who appears to be ill.
2
I must always look and act the part of an aristocrat, regardless of what is happening around me.
3
People must believe that I am wealthier than I really am.
4
I only trust the word of people with money and social status.
5
Certain members of my family sided with the rebels. I am terrified of being ousted if someone were to learn my secret.
6
I am careless with my money and overly generous to those who need it.
7
I expect others to do things for me even when I am capable of doing it myself.
8
I go to great lengths and expense to ensure that I stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment